Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Volunteering and Scooping Poop

Who wants to scoop poop in front of thousands of people? Well I did, and it was a lot of fun. When I was in high school, some of my friends and I volunteered to be pooper scoopers for the Kentucky Derby Pegasus Parade. Believe it or not, it was a lot of fun. We were dressed in mini-tuxes, and were in groups behind the horse units; one person with a trash can, and two with shovels. We would run around and do cartwheels, and the crowd loved us.



The reason I bring this up is because I don’t think people realize how much work goes into making the Kentucky Derby Festival happen. Very few people involved get paid. I really want to encourage anyone who needs service hours to look at the volunteer portion of the website, http://www.kdf.org/volunteers.html. Like I said, working with a group of friends was a lot of fun, and a memory I’ll never forget. If you don’t want to scoop poop, there is tons of other things to do to volunteer including helping with the Texas Hold ‘Em tournament, the marathon and lots more. BUT if you want to be cool like me there are still four spots available for pooper scoopers this year.



The only thing left to volunteer for on the site now is for the Pegasus Parade, but early next spring when you need some service hours, I promise you’ll have a fun time!


Also, for you viewing pleasure, I included a picture of me from high school from the parade.

No comments:

Post a Comment