Wednesday, April 15, 2009

"Silence Over Louisville"


After reading my last blog post about how much I love Thunder, you may question the title of this blog. I recently learned about an event to be held the same day as Thunder called “silence over Louisville”. I’m not quite sure how I feel about it.
According to another blog, http://thebridge.typepad.com/, which is about “connecting you to the politics and events of greater Louisville and Kentucky”, this event is taking place the Friday before and the Saturday that is Thunder. Here is the official website: http://louisvillepeace.org/silenceoverthunder.html
26 local organizations are participating. The whole point of this thing is to protest the military.
The kickoff is Friday afternoon, when they are holding a peace vigil in protest of Israel’s “assault on Gaza”. The fun really starts Friday when they plan on distributing literature against having the military involved in Thunder’s air show. After that, they are going to act as “silent witnesses” and process across the Great Lawn, where most of the 500,000-people Thunder crowd will be.
The disclaimer at the bottom of the blog reads,
Note: The coalition does not oppose--nor wish to replace-- the civilian portion of the air show, or the fireworks. Its aim is to end the militarism represented by the flyover and military recruiters, with special consideration for the impact on youth and the immigrant community.
I consider myself pro-peace, but at the same time I am also pro-I-don’t-want-to-get-blown-up-by-terrorists. I’ll save you my political rant that I just typed and erased. I have a few close friends in the military and I am proud of them for risking their lives to keep us safe. I support our troops and pray that they are safe.
I’ll be on the lookout for these people next weekend when I’m at Thunder and let you know if I run across any of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment